David Gaughran is a 33-year old Irish writer, living in Sweden, who spends most of his time traveling the world, collecting stories, and writing about them. In Let’s Get Digital – How to self-publish and why you should Gaughran shares recent and comprehensive insights on self-publishing to (aspiring) authors. In Part One Digital Revolution the challenges facing both publishers, authors and literary agents cause a burning platform. Print is doomed, traditional brick-and-mortar book shops will follow the path of travel agents. The “800lb gorilla” Amazon dominates markets of both print and electronic books. Especially in the US e-book dominance has grown rapidly. Is there still a future for writers? Yes, by self-publishing, cutting the middle men, and practice long tail paradigm, made famous by Chris Anderson.
In Part 2 Digital Self-Publishing the author leads you through the 10 steps of publishing, from writing a story, getting it edited, finding a proper cover, uploading and pricing at e-book sellers and getting reviews. Marketing tips (engage with your audience, use social media, blogs and social networks, but also discounts, giveaways and blog tours), calm down & carry on recommendations for those authors that discover sudden sales drops: the how to is explained in a very practical way.
In Part 3 Gaughran gives room to 33 indie authors that share their success stories in their own words. All of them just recently joined the bandwagon of self-publishing e-books…..and make money out of it. Among others J Carson Black, Bob Mayer, Victorine Lieske, Mark Edwards, and Steven Hawk. Appendices on short(er) stories & novellas, the international (non-US) market, practicalities and resources are extras given. Of course you have to learn writing, but everything to get your writing published yourself including a profitable business model can be found in this book.
Let’s Get Digital is available from Amazon US for $2.99, Amazon UK for £1.71, Amazon DE for EUR 2.99, Barnes & Noble for $2.99, and Smashwordsfor $2.99. It is also available from Apple (iBookstore and iTunes) and will be available shortly from Sony and Kobo. If you are in one of the countries affected by the Amazon surcharge (i.e. if you are being displayed a high price like $5.74 for this book), you can purchase through Smashwords for $2.99. The PDF version (updated 19 August 2011) is free: Let’s Get Digital by David Gaughran.
- Let’s Get Digital. Part 2 of my interview with David Gaughran. (martinlakewriting.wordpress.com)
- Is Amazon hindering international ebook adoption? (teleread.com)
- Exclusive: Indie Author Michael Wallace Signs 5 Book Deal With Amazon | David Gaughran (eoinpurcellsblog.com)
- e-Publishing Adventures, Part II (debmaher.com)
- Interview with David Gaughran about his new book on indie self-publishing: ‘Let’s Get Digital.’ (martinlakewriting.wordpress.com)
- My favourite writing place (martinlakewriting.wordpress.com)
- “Trends we see in publishing” from an Italian perspective (teleread.com)
- E-Publishing. Tales of frustration and delight (martinlakewriting.wordpress.com)